Singapore Mythbusters
If you’ve ever watched an episode of Mythbusters, you know how this works. If not, here’s the gist: the TV show hosts consider a common myth, experiment to see to what extent it is true, and then give a final verdict. The myth could be busted (not true), plausible (true to an extent), or confirmed (true).
Before coming to SG, I had a few ideas as to what this city was like based on Youtube videos and Internet surfing. I’m happy to say that in these past few weeks, I can now confirm (or deny) seven common Singapore myths. And yes, I do realize most of these are food-related.
1) Do not jaywalk à
Plausible
At
first, I was petrified of walking across a street without the “okay” from the
little green man, even one that was four steps long. Singapore has a lot of
cameras posted in inconspicuous areas and I did not want to risk being fined
S$1,000 during my short stay here. However, I noticed that the locals didn’t
mind a bit of jaywalking across the smaller roads, especially when there were
no vehicles in sight in either direction. Usually, it’s best to follow the
locals, but I still wasn’t convinced. It wasn’t until my visit to Little India
that I changed my mind about jaywalking.
Little
India is part of Singapore, but the second you step foot within its territory,
the rules slacken and bend – for the sake of safety, of course. The walkways are
packed with people, so much so that people spill onto the streets. It’s
important to walk quickly and, when the close to clear, cross when you can.
Otherwise, you might obstruct the sidewalk and cause more foot traffic. The
drivers in Little India are familiar with the constant flow of people, so they
cruise carefully, especially when someone is walking literally a foot away from
their car.
When I
entered “Singapore” again, I could see how the locals who jaywalked did so with
a similar caution. They rarely crossed large intersections without the light or
small streets when there was traffic, but using common sense, they’d cross when
the coast was clear. I haven’t seen anyone being taken away or fined yet. That
is not to say that it doesn’t happen, but I can say it doesn’t happen often. I
still wait for the green man, but when it’s clear there aren’t any incoming
cars and a group of locals decide to cross, I usually cross with them. Safety
in numbers, right?
2) When eating out, leave your table without cleaning up à Confirmed
Yeah… please do this. It may seem rude in the U.S., and I
definitely still feel guilty leaving a mess, but there’s good reason why you
should definitely not clean up after yourself when you eat outside in
Singapore.
The workers rely on this as part of their jobs of
maintaining the restaurant. Some places try to incorporate tray areas and
little signs on the tables encourage customers to bring their tray there.
Still, these eateries still have workers who are disgruntled when you follow
the signs. Perhaps they saw this as invading their work area, like if I walked
into the kitchen and snatched the wok from the chef’s hand. For instance, one
time I thought I would hand a worker the tray since he was tidying up near the
tray area, but the man curtly waved his hand, said something that wasn’t
pleasant, and gestured me to put my tray back onto my table.
A bit rattled, I did as he asked and resolved to never try
putting my tray away in any form again. Now, I mostly just gather my leftovers
and trash in a neat pile and leave before I start doubting myself.
3) You always have to dress up for class because the standard for fashion in Singaporean universities is higher than that of American universities. à Busted
They recommend that you don’t wear your sweatpants to class, but does anyone really care? Not really. Yes, many students do prefer wearing business casual (button-ups and slacks for men and a wide array of blouses and skirts for women) but there are equally as many students who make do with a classic shirt and shorts.
If you go to class in athleisure, you won’t get odd glances
and the teacher won’t kick you out. I’ve seen students who do turn up in greasy
buns and probably what they slept in the night before, but we’re all too busy
taking down notes or discussing a question. Just wear what you’d normally wear.
4) It’s hot and humid every day, so only pack shorts and light summer wear. à Busted
Jeans at the Botanical Gardens.
An all black outfit to Orchard Road.
Heavy coats sold in SG malls.
It is humid and hot, but not unbearable -- you get used to
it.
The longer you stay there, the more you fall back on your
usual fashion sense. I also regret that I didn’t bring more non-summer clothes;
it gets cold indoors because Singaporeans blast that AC. I was shivering in two
of my classes because I didn’t bring a jacket and wore shorts. And my roommates
and I now know enough to bring an actual blanket when we go to SMU Labs, which
is their student study/activity center. Point being, yes bring light wear, but
more importantly, bring layers. You’ll out yourself as a tourist if all you
wear is breathable Hawaiian floral shirts. If you’re really worried about the
heat, I’ve learned to bring around a water bottle everywhere I go.
5) Bring tissue packets/wet wipes when eating out. à Plausible
Most places do have a napkin dispenser, especially
restaurants. But definitely bring wet wipes/tissue packets when you eat at an
outdoor hawker center, especially when you’re having satay or chili crab, yum.
But mostly, we use packets to “chope” seats, which is to place a tissue packet
or another item on the table to tell others the seat is taken. It’s not
considered rude to claim a seat and no one has stolen anything I’ve placed
down. There is a distinct tissue packet culture here: most locals bring a
packet and sometimes you’ll find people selling packets, and only packets, on
the street. Anyway, it’s not an absolute necessity to bring one every time you
go out to eat. You can just as easily use a bottle or a stray pamphlet.
6) Singaporeans are obsessed with food. à Confirmed.
I asked a new Singaporean friend about her thoughts on this.
She responded that it’s not that Singaporeans are obsessed with food but rather
food is so ingrained in their culture that they can’t help but think and talk
about it all the time. Singapore is composed of many different cultures and
from those culture came the famous hawker center, which is almost the foundation
of Singaporean eatery. Not many people cook in their homes, and it’s expensive
to do so. Why buy groceries when you can get a quick, towering plate for S$3? The
locals dominate the food scene. You would be hard-pressed to find a popular
corporate-run food chain. The only two I can really think of are McDonald’s and
Starbucks.
Hawker center vendors specialize in a few recipes passed
down through generations. These recipes are rarely influenced by only one
culture but, throughout the years, the family would incorporate what they’ve
learned from other cultures around them. For example, you’ll see this around a
lot: Peranakan cuisine. My housemates and I guessed it was Malay food, but we
were only partly right. Peranakan food is interchangeably known as Nyonya,
which literally means Peranakan women but refers to aunties who are known to
make the best local food. This cuisine was brought by the descendants of
Chinese immigrants who settled in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore. If you
want a quick way to describe it, it’s Malay-Chinese food, but really, it’s a
product of the melting pot of cultures.
My SG friend also said (though I disagree) that there’s not
much to do in Singapore but shop and eat, which is why many foreigners have
this idea that the average Singaporean indulges in luxury and cuisine on a regular
basis.
During fifteen-minute class breaks, all but maybe two or
three students in a class of forty hurry out the door. The first time this
happened, I got up instinctively from my seat because of how suddenly everyone
moved. They came back with breads, drinks, chips, even little combo sets in
hand. I’ve seen a girl bring back a steaming bowl of ramen and a sausage during
my Legal Theory and Philosophy class. The room is then filled with
drool-inducing aromas and the crinkle and crunch of plastic or paper bags as
the break ends – the professors don’t mind. Where do the students go? Nearby
convenience stores like Cheers and underneath SMU buildings where food stops line
the ground floor like Gongcha, a curry place, and a bakery. The lines are
incredibly long but go fast since the store owners are prepared for the daily
heavy flow.
Before long, I too was eating out all the time, buying
snacks between classes, and hunting for the latest interesting food. My
roommate and I hit Bugis Street Market a few blocks down our apartment. It’s
one of the largest outdoor markets in Singapore, nestled between buildings and
almost hidden from view, and it’s packed with quick fried grub. My housemates
and I made it a nightly ritual to shut our eyes, point to a random spot in
Singapore, take a metro or a bus there, and find the nearest hawker center. And
when it’s late into the night, Singaporeans indulge in a second dinner of sorts
called supper. It’s common to grab a few friends and look for gleaming signs
and smoking windows and sit in in a popular 24/7 restaurant or bakery run by
locals. My roommate and I have eaten at the 24/7 Indian restaurant a street
down from our apartment more times than I can count. Whenever SMU Christian
Fellowship, a student organization I joined, finishes up their evening
meetings, they flash a slide on the projector: Supper in 30 minutes. And bars
are aplenty. I don’t go out often but one of my housemates went out almost
every night for bar experiences with friends.
I don’t think Singaporeans are innately gluttonous. I do
agree with my classmate that Singaporeans were shaped by a food-centric
culture. It’s almost impossible not to be obsessed with food when living in
Singapore.
7) No eating or drinking on the MRT. à Confirmed
As much
as Singaporeans love food, they definitely respect this rule. It’s treated
differently than the jaywalking law. While they do bring food and drinks on
board, I’ve never seen any of it come close to their faces. My RD told me this
story in which she brought a drink (it was either coffee or water) on board.
Out of habit, she took a sip. Instantly, on the loud speaker, a voice politely
reminded the riders (namely, my RD) that consuming food or drinks wasn’t
allowed on the public transit. You could say it was a coincidence, but this
announcement is not usually played. My RD has been living in Singapore as an
ex-pat for a number of years, so she was aware of this and knew that it was
more likely that the announcement was meant for her. Think I was crazy for
being careful about jaywalking? They do watch the footage from the cameras placed
everywhere. My SG classmates even warned me to watch how I act and what I say.
Some were even excited to study abroad themselves where cameras weren’t hidden
everywhere. I guess the authorities are just picky with what they chose to
enforce. My RD was embarrassed enough to never make the same mistake again and
shares the story as a cautionary tale to us visiting students.
Singapore
may let some things go, like jaywalking, but I can confirm that they are strict
with the no eating/drinking on board rule. Especially durians. There are set fines
for many offenses, but the durian ominously has a blank fine amount. This is
probably because of the strong stench durians give off. One time, my RD was
gifted a free durian by a friend at the friend’s house. When heading home, my
RD was turned away at the MRT and the bus stop. She could not even get a taxi
or a Grab (their Uber) to pick her and her husband up. I believe she and her
husband had to be picked up by friends at night because they could not use the
public transportation system to tout their fruit.
If I
were to guess why this particular fine is enforced, Singaporeans pride themselves
on their clean streets despite being a heavily populated city of 5.8 million
people. This extends to their MRT and general public transportation system.
Most Singaporeans do not have cars, and cars are expensive, both to buy and to
get a license for. With the population heavily dependent on public
transportation, Singaporean officials probably thought it was best to keep
these utilities clean, thereby enforcing a hefty fine on food and drink.



Comments
Post a Comment
What do you think? Please feel free to comment below!